Saturday, November 8, 2014

Halting problems and computability

We focused on halting problems and computability this week. Some functions are not computable. To illustrate, if a function returns whether a program will halt, then it is not computable.  Since we can never determine whether a running program will keep running forever. And we learned to prove a function is not computable by showing that we could write a working halting program for it if it were computable.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have fully grasped what the instructor taught. During this week's lectures I always found myself kind of dizzy, maybe it's because I have been staying up late these days. And this has led to a less effective in-class learning. I hope there will be tutorial exercises proving functions are non-computable.

2 comments:

  1. I hope there would be tutorial exercise on halting problem too, but the last tutorial was not on halting problem and I was kind of disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you got one problem on A3, and you can also refer to course notes.
      Good luck!

      Delete